Applications for K-8 Mentoring due Jan. 28

Any students interested in the K-8 Mentoring program should pick up an application from room E216. Applications are due Jan. 28 to social studies teacher Robin Pletcher.

The class meets every Gold Day during sixth and seventh period. Students will be developing relationships with children who are facing challenges in some aspect of their lives. To be accepted into the program students will have to be responsible, experienced with kids, and have the means to transport themselves to the elementary and middle schools that they will be assigned.

“It’s important for the mentors to realize that it’s not always fun and games. Sometimes the younger kids are going through tough issues that the mentors need to be mature enough to handle,” Pletcher said.

According to Coco Sullivan, club member and senior, the course is also a rewarding experience. “I recommend the class to anyone who likes working with kids and wants to make a difference in their life,” Sullivan said.

After Pletcher interviews each applicant, she will select only about 25 for the class. Students can expect to hear the results in mid-February. By Kevin Quist