Graduation now scheduled for May 26

Author Archives

The graduation ceremony for the Class of 2011 is now scheduled for May 26, the last day of school for CHS students, at the Pepsi Coliseum.

“Because so many other schools have been affected by the calendar and the make-up of snow days, they have had to make adjustments to their graduation schedule which opened up that Thursday evening for us,” assistant principal Amy Skeens-Benton said.

According to Skeens-Benton rehearsal and a senior dinner will also be rescheduled for May 26. Rehearsal will begin at 3:30 p.m. and the actual ceremony will start at 7 p.m.

“This is nice because (seniors) do not have to make two trips to Pepsi Coliseum,” Skeens-Benton said. “We rehearse. We eat. We graduate.”

Principal John Williams said he thinks the change will be well received by students, but said he is concerned about those people who planned around the original May 24 date. “This won’t be universally embraced,” Williams said. “Changing it in February, though, gives everybody ample time to adjust their schedules.”

With one school cancellation in December and three in February, Carmel Clay Schools were forced to extend the last day of school to Thursday, May 26. The original graduation date was Tuesday, May 24, which would have required seniors to return to school after graduation to finish finals testing.

“This is the right thing to do,” Williams said. “There is really no way to justify a Tuesday graduation if we don’t absolutely have to have it (on that date).”

“I think it’ll be really nice for seniors,” Williams said. “Its a great end to the year now.”

Jeremy Weprich, student body president and senior, said, “This is a much better situation for seniors. Having graduation on the last day of school provides a certain finality that students will definitely embrace.” By Sara Rogers <srogers@hilite.org>

0