Model U.N. delegates prepare to leave for IUPUI conference

Model U.N. members will leave for downtown Indianapolis this Thursday and Friday for the IUPUI conference. According to club sponsor Tracy Hadden, the students will leave for Indianapolis at 4 p.m. Thursday evening, return home, and come back downtown on Friday to continue the conference.

According to Hadden, the conference consists of students from several state-wide schools getting together and deciding on actions to take against worldly issues.

“So, for example, if you and your partner were assigned to research Darfur, the students from other schools who were assigned the same country would join you and you would collaborate on the issues,” Hadden said. “We try to make it similar to what the United Nations might do.”

According to delegate and junior Nikhil Dharan, the club members are competing for either the Best Delegate or the Best Delegation award. Best Delegate is awarded to one person, while Best Delegation is awarded to a delegation team.

Dharan said he and his partner hope  to win one of these awards.

“My partner and I are hoping for either one of us to receive the best delegate award or for the both of us to be named best delegation simply because of the amount of work we’ve put in and the fact that both of us love Model U.N. a lot,” he said. “We both have experience in leadership and speaking and though last year was a bit rough since it was our first time, I think I can speak for both of us in that we have high expectations for this year’s conference.”

Hadden said she feels that CHS students will do well this year, but the awards aren’t guaranteed to us by any means.

“The only thing we can do is our best,” she said. “We’ll wait and see on Thursday.” By Kendall Harshberger [email protected]