GKOM to prepare for Greyhound Kickoff Day on Aug. 5

The GKOM organization is scheduled to have the annual Greyhound Kickoff Day on Aug. 5 from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Freshman Center. During the kickoff the incoming freshmen for the 2011-2012 school year will get the opportunity to learn their way around the school and meet their peers, according to sponsor Jennifer Powell.

“The Kickoff Day is probably one of the most important events that the GKOMs do all year, and it occurs before the school year has even started. The new GKOMs get acquainted with the freshmen SRTs that they will be spending the rest of the year with, and the freshmen get to ease some of the anxiety that they may be experiencing prior to the first day of school,” Powell said.

Other activities that occur during the kickoff include learning a dance, eating lunch in the freshmen cafeteria and playing games. Junior Haley Weiss says that she has been looking forward to the kickoff ever since she found out that she was going to be a GKOM.

“I’m mostly looking forward to being someone that my younger peers can look forward too. I also really want to have the experience of mentoring someone. I think that being a GKOM will be an invaluable opportunity because it not only will teach me how to help someone in a difficult situation but also it will give me the chance to learn things about myself,” Weiss said. By Lindsey Walker