Lifelines Club sponsors Red Ribbon Week

By: Sam Watermeier <[email protected]>

In the last week of October, some students may take a vow of silence and wear Grim Reaper T-shirts. This is not a way of celebrating Halloween, however. This is an activity sponsored by Lifelines.

Hena Ahmed, Lifelines president and senior, said, “During the Grim Reaper activity, students go all day without speaking and wear Grim Reaper shirts as a way of recognizing all of the deaths caused by alcohol-related car crashes.”

The Grim Reaper activity will be one of the many activities that occur during Red Ribbon Week, though the club is still deciding if it will be an event or not this year. Red Ribbon Week is sponsored by Lifelines and will last from Oct. 23 through Oct. 31.

In terms of all of the different activities that will occur during Red Ribbon Week, Ahmed said, “There will be door judging where each SRT class decorates its door in a way that is anti-drug and alcohol related. The SRT that has the best door will win a pizza or Chipotle party.”

This is just one part of an even larger goal the Lifelines Club wishes to accomplish.

Lifelines sponsor Rebekah Overbey, who serves as a “go-between” to the administration and students, explained the overall goal for Lifelines.

Overbey said, “The ultimate goal is to empower students to make a positive difference in the lives of their peers and to promote student leadership in the community.”