New Homecoming policy to bar outside students from dance

CHS has recently adopted a new policy that allows only students attending this school to attend the dance and restricts outside students from participating.

According to Assistant Principal Amy Skeens-Benton, there were 3,400 students at the Homecoming Dance last year.

“We went and discussed the situation with the PTO, and it got to the point that safety had become a major concern. The only solutions were either to limit the dance to specific grade levels, or to limit the outside guests, and so we made the second choice,” Skeens-Benton said.

(For a story on the other effects of population growth, click HERE.)

However, not everyone agrees with this new policy. Senior Daniel Xu found himself unable to bring his would-be date to the dance.

“I feel that it is a little unnecessary that the school has to limit Homecoming this year to only students at Carmel, because for the past few years we have had the freedom of signing papers to bring people from other schools in,” Xu said.

Skeens-Benton says CHS is trying to make a huge effort in increasing supervision and placing more emphasis on safety.

Although there are students who are upset by the new policy, many of them agree with the school’s emphasis on safety.

“I understand that it can be a safety issue. The more people there are, the higher the chances of issues arising. Last year, everything seemed to flow smoothly, and I’m sure it will be the same this year as long as they are prepared, the equipment is safe and secure, and they have adults monitoring,” Xu said.

According to Skeens-Benton, this policy will only apply to the Homecoming Dance.

Skeens-Benton said, “Since there is no longer a Winter Formal, and since prom is only for two grade levels, the Homecoming Dance is really the only event that this policy will apply to.”

View Comments (3)
$20
$500

• L

LexiAug 30, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I think this policy is just fine for homecoming because isn’t homecoming basically about hanging out with your friends and having fun at the game and dance? I have had many people tell me that if you bring a date to homecoming, it won’t be as much fun. I’m not saying that’s nessecarily true but as long as they don’t make that the policy for the more formal dances like Prom then it’s an okay policy right now. I support it. 😀 Go Greyhounds. <3

Reply
  • J

jkozyAug 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

I could sure use your HELP to address this policy for many true Carmel supporters that will be left out of homecoming festivities.

There are numerous clubs at the high school that solicit both Carmel high school members and nonCarmel high school members from the greater Carmel community. These clubs are academic, vocational and athletic. In several instances, club member activities include participation before school, after school, and on weekends. The endless annual activities of some clubs and their competitive events represent Carmel’s programs throughout the entire year and include local, state, midwest, and in some cases, national participation. Some of the clubs are among the best in the country and all the members work hard to gain this recognition.

It is not uncommon that the amount of time nonCarmel high school club members devote to these programs can surpass the time they spend at their own high schools with their own classmates….for many, the Carmel Club members are their true day-to-day classmates and they typically attend all Carmel high school social functions as guests of the Carmel high school club members.

Many club alumni regularly return to visit with club staff during the entire year and many regularly look forward to visiting with the club for homecome activities.

It appears that while safety is an issue with nonCarmel high school attendees at Homecoming, there can also be consideration for those club members that are truly daily supporters of the Camel tradition who would like to join their fellow club members to celebrate their Carmel participation at Homecoming.

Any support you can lend to have this consideration heard by the appropriate staff at the high school would be most appreciated!!!

Thank you.

Reply
  • K

KatieAug 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

My impression is that the school system is punishing its students for attending an overcrowded school. If the school dances are beginning to reach fire-hazard capacity, then perhaps it is a reflection of a population issue on a larger scale. I would recommend to the administration to reconsider their new policy. It would be more realistic to charge an extra $2.00 per ticket for each of 3,400 attendants, and to use that grand sum of money to rent out a larger host building, because I wasn’t aware that exclusion was something we did here.

Reply