Co-curricular expenses increase, students must pay more to participate

By: Lily Zhao <[email protected]>

Carrying her equipment, shoes and change of clothes to color guard practice is something junior Alexandria Weller is required to do. These items needed for practice are all paid for, so while Weller commits her time to the sport, her parents’ wallets have obligations as well.

“It’s a little expensive,” Weller said. “But, (color guard) gives us lots of opportunities to raise money to get our fees back.” Weller said she has spent around $1,100 to be part of the color guard this year.

Currently, many co-curricular activities at this school are costing parents and students more. Part of this is a result of inflation; necessary materials just cost more today than they used to. But another contributing factor, according to athletics director Jim Inskeep, is because of past success. These groups want their students to achieve at even higher levels. In many cases, Inskeep said, that requires more money.

Weller said that with top national finishes in recent years, there’s definitely more work cut out for the color guard this year due to past successes.

“There’s definitely pressure to do well, even if it costs us more money,” Weller said. “There’s always room to grow and improve. It’s a goal we like to strive for.”

And the costs aren’t just limited to performing arts. From a sports standpoint, Inskeep said that some fees have gotten out of hand and that the athletics department is looking into why this is occurring. Nevertheless, he said that he thinks the largest and most frequent spikes in prices come from co-curricular activities sponsored by the performing arts department.

But sponsors cannot necessarily control the costs required to make their individual activity a success. Carolyn Ealy, marching band vice-president and voting executive board member, said via-email that she agreed with the idea that there is so much pressure among the marching band to do well, so that is why buying new equipment and going on trips is important. As a result, Ealy said that the marching band plans to travel to Hawaii at the end of the year with an additional cost of $1,950, along with going to Atlanta for $115.

Of course, most or all of the above-mentioned co-curriculars offer fund-raising opportunities to aid students. Whether it comes from selling candy or hosting a dance clinic, groups try their best to tend to students’ financial needs. In fact, within these fund-raisers, students can earn over half of the required dues.

“I think, probably in most cases through fund-raising, (is how these groups compensate for certain costs),” Inskeep said. “That’s really what it is; it’s a participation expense.”

Even with fund-raising opportunities, though, some individuals still cannot provide enough money to buy the select items they need. Inskeep said most groups work one-on-one with the students’ families in order to create a nice financial environment. The color guard, for example, provides its members a chance to talk to the sponsors if there are financial setbacks.

Color guard director Rosie Queen said, “We tell every member that if they feel that the fee or payment schedule will be financially difficult for their family to contact (Director of Bands) Richard Saucedo and/or the band boosters. They handle it in strict confidence and work to make sure that all students that want to participate can have the opportunity to be a part of this elite performance group.

“The things the girls gain from being in color guard far outweigh the monetary cost of being a participant,” Queen said. “I don’t think that any fee in the world could support the amount of confidence, self worth, artistry, excellence, pride, self discipline, work ethic and team work that these young ladies achieve and learn by being a part of the color guard.”