Familiar faces may be celebrities to some

By Shireen Korkzan

Every time I see performing arts chairperson Richard Saucedo’s son Ethan, I always have to gently pull his big, yet adorable, ears. I’m not sure if Mr. Saucedo is okay with this, but as long as he’s not complaining, then I’m more than willing to keep it up as well as openly tell him how big his son’s ears are. And I’m not the only one who speaks informally to Mr. Saucedo; pretty much every band kid who has gotten to know him over the years does, mainly by telling him that he looks like a koala.

But if you ask a band student from outside of this school to do the same thing, chances are they’ll be too nervous and intimidated to even stand within five feet of Mr. Saucedo. In fact, many band kids here behave the same way around him because Mr. Saucedo is an icon in the high school band world.

During our breaking ranks at the Indianapolis Regional at Lucas Oil Stadium this year, the entire tenor saxophone section from Marian Catholic High School from Chicago Heights, IL, came up to me (I happened to be the first Carmel student they ran into) and asked if I could introduce them to “Mr. Richard Saucedo.” I said, “You mean Sauce? Sure, why not.” One of them gasped when I used Mr. Saucedo’s name so informally. They told me that Mr. Saucedo is their hero because of his accomplishments throughout his music career, the main reason being that he composed music for the Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps – one of the most respected bands in Drum Corps International – from 2000 up until this past August. All six of them wanted to meet him sometime before they graduated, and their section leader had been waiting for four years. Unfortunately for the Marian Catholic tenors, Mr. Saucedo was already long gone by the time I asked another director where he was. They were disappointed, because to them, Richard Saucedo is another George Clooney or John Mayer; he’s a celebrity.

They’re not alone. On Facebook, Mr. Saucedo has two fan Web sites created by students who have no affiliation with Carmel High School other than the fact that their concert bands have played a few of Mr. Saucedo’s pieces. Ten people on MySpace have listed this school’s highly sought-after and respected director as one of their favorite musicians and composers and none of them are even from Indiana.

It’s not that the band kids here take advantage of having such an important public figure as their musical mentor. We just know him at a more personal level than others. Do I admire people the way people outside of this school admire Mr. Saucedo? Sure. There are many, such as Barack Obama. But how do Sasha and Malia Obama feel about their father? Of course they’re proud that their father is going to be the next president of the United States, but to them he’ll always be Daddy who acts uncool around their friends. Jenna and Barbara Bush love their father despite his low approval ratings in politics. It doesn’t matter to them. His politics do not constitute as what kind of father he is. Being president is what he does, but not who he is.

My admiration of Mr. Saucedo is even deeper because I admire him not just as an accomplished musician, but also as a human being. I know Mr. Saucedo and I like what I know. And I am reminded of that whenever I see someone I idolize. Sure, he’s a good actor or politician – and sure he’s a good musician, but what kind of person is he?

Personally knowing a celebrity is the best way to humanize him or her. While every musician considers it an honor to have Mr. Saucedo teach them music, the musicians here agree wholeheartedly. We just also see him as a loveable koala with an adorable big-eared son. And in many ways, that distinction makes him even more admirable.