Media staff to introduce Have a Heart amnesty Feb. 21

Freshman Kevin Martin helps sort the promotion posters for the Have a Heart amnesty. The amnesty, which will run from Feb. 21 to March 9, clears students library overdue fines when they bring in canned foods or toiletries. PHOTO / DAVID CHOE
Freshman Kevin Martin helps sort the promotion posters for the Have a Heart amnesty. The amnesty, which will run from Feb. 21 to March 9, clears students’ library overdue fines when they bring in canned foods or toiletries. PHOTO / DAVID CHOE

Freshman Kevin Martin helps sort the promotion posters for the Have a Heart amnesty. The amnesty, which will run from Feb. 21 to March 9, clears students' library overdue fines when they bring in canned foods or toiletries. PHOTO / DAVID CHOE
As they have been doing for several years, the media staff will introduce their Have a Heart amnesty from Feb. 21 to March 9, according to media department chairperson Bonnie Grimble. The amnesty, operating in recognition and conjunction with Heart Health month, eliminates overdue fines for each canned food or toiletry brought by students.

For more on Heart Health month, click here.

“Students have participated in the amnesty for several years,” Grimble said. “We’ve been doing this for a long time now.”

For some students, such as junior Kevin Reidy, the amnesty is an opportunity to clear fines and give back to the community. Reidy said he is planning on participating in the amnesty.

“I’m definitely doing the amnesty,” Reidy said. “I believe that it’s important to grant certain individuals amnesty in their library fines. If there were no amnesty I believe that the library would have a significant problem getting books returned on time.”

According to Grimble, she also sees the amnesty as an opportunity to solve two problems at once.

“And (the amnesty) is a great thing because the library doesn’t want kids’ money,” Grimble said. “The media center is just looking at this as an opportunity to clear any financial obligations it might have and help give back to the community. It’s a win-win.”