CHTV students entering in IASB Competition

Students in all levels of Television Broadcasting continue to work on their entries to the Indiana Association of School Broadcasters’ (IASB) Competition. They will submit newscasts, music videos, and other types of videos in the contest.

Sophomore Sophie Kelner said she worked alongside with sophomore Carly Harbison to make a newscast about the Mike’s Carwash book sales during the winter and recently submitted it.

“The two of us will be able to go down to the convention center in the spring to do workshops and learn the results of the competition,” Kelner said. “Even if I don’t win, I just want to get a good experience out of it.”

In the meantime, students in Television Broadcasting 1-2 are working on their music videos.

“We are divided into groups of four and take an actual song and make a whole theme for it,” Kelner said.

In Television Broadcasting 3-4, students are all working independently on videos that they are interested in.

“The sports-oriented people are doing highlight reels. Somebody who’s interested in social media is taking care of our Twitter, website, and Facebook page. Somebody who’s interested in doing newscasts is going to produce their own newscast show,” CHTV supervisor Erin Thorpe said.

The advanced students have built a new green room used for planning and displaying awards of CHTV.

“Dillon Welch has built new cabinets and sorted through a lot of old junk in here,” Thorpe said. “All of my advanced students have been getting the equipment organized.”

CHTV students also plan to redesign and redecorate the studio, and they have requested funds for the project.

“The green room has been a small start to the bigger plans we have, and requests for funds is a huge step,” Thorpe said.