Thanksgiving redefined

By: Sarah Sheafer <[email protected]>

It started as a tradition. A tradition formed by the women of the house and a tradition that started at 4 a.m. It was Black Friday, and it was time to shop.

Every Thanksgiving, freshman Lauren Williams goes to Michigan to spend time with her family. It’s a time for celebrating, being thankful and shopping. Even though Williams has not come of age, according to the women of her house, to go to the after-Thanksgiving sales, she still hears the stories of the event.
“They bring back horror stories about how they always get smashed and stuff. It’s actually pretty funny. My mom came home once with a bruise. I think a purse or something was what they were fighting over,” Williams said.
Williams, like many students here, said that the day after Thanksgiving is the day to shop. Even though some would consider this demeaning towards customs of Thanksgiving, Williams said she feels that it only helps with the family bond.

Lila Torp, interpersonal relations and orientation to life and careers teacher, said that it doesn’t matter what a family does together. It just matters that they do something together, like shopping.
“Family time is family time. And a lot of research says that it’s important for families to spend time together talking. It doesn’t say what you’re supposed to talk about,” Torp said.
Along with shopping, watching football on Thanksgiving has become a family tradition also. Williams said that it doesn’t take any of the meaning out of the holiday but that it may add to it.

“I think it’s a good thing because everybody gets around the TV and yells at their favorite player. They yell ‘touchdown, touchdown,’ and then everyone jumps up and screams, and they’re either really happy or sad,” she said. “But they’re all together, and that’s what matters.”
However, sophomore Michael Young said he feels differently on the matter.
“I don’t think (watching football) is what Thanksgiving is about. It’s supposed to be about families getting together to enjoy each other and give thanks, I guess. But I don’t like it when people watch football on Thanksgiving,” Young said.

With the new generation, families tend to spend less time together. Students have more options for extra curricular activities, which may be a component that forces families to spend time apart.

Torp said that teenagers who are too busy to eat dinner with their families on a regular basis don’t necessarily miss out on being with their family.

“That’s not our society now for everyone to eat dinner with the family,” Torp said. “But that doesn’t mean families aren’t spending time together. I don’t see anything magical about dinner. That used to be our culture. It’s not now.”

Since not all families have time to have dinner together, Thanksgiving is their only chance. And because of this, Young said that people shouldn’t try and make Thanksgiving not about the family.

He also said he thinks people should not call Thanksgiving “turkey day.”
“It defeats the sentiment behind Thanksgiving because Thanksgiving is about giving thanks. It’s not just about turkey. That’s just what people usually eat,” Young said.

Williams said, “It’s cool to say ‘turkey day,’ but I think it does take a lot of the meaning out of Thanksgiving,” she said. “But I’m guilty of saying that too.”

This holiday is becoming more commercialized with the rise of the after-Thanksgiving sales, but Torp said that it’s the least commercialized holiday of the year and probably the most ignored.

“You walk in a store now, and you’re going to see things for Halloween or for Christmas. You may see some Thanksgiving things, but they tend to be more fall or autumn (related) than given to Thanksgiving specifically,” Torp said. “I think that (the sales after Thanksgiving day) commercialize Christmas, not Thanksgiving.”

On the other hand, Young said that he thinks this holiday is becoming more commercialized.

“It’ll probably keep getting less about giving thanks,” Young said. “But, I mean it may become more about family in the future like some things go back to what they used to be.”

Williams said, “Thanksgiving has become a lot more about money because of stores and a lot less about being thankful. But, I think in a lot of people’s minds it’s still the day of giving thanks and not only shopping.”