Severe weather, destruction of school in southern Indiana cause school officials to reexamine procedures at this school

take cover: Students take precautions during the tornado on March 2. Williams said administration has determined the first floor as the safest floor. Kathleen Bertsch / Photo

On March 2, a deadly tornado outbreak, occurring over parts of the southern United States into the Ohio River Valley region, claimed the lives of more than 30 people. Indiana was not free from this destruction, especially in towns such as Henryville. The tornado caused much destruction in the town, some of which included severe damage to Henryville Jr. – Sr. High School as well as the devastation of multiple homes.

Students and staff at CHS, however, were safe from any harm done by the tornadoes. Near the end of the school day on March 2, following current tornado warning procedures, the student body and staff members were evacuated from their classrooms to designated safe areas, or interior classrooms, where they were told to stay until the tornado warning was finally lifted.

Principal John Williams said he was pleased with the cooperation of the students regarding the safety procedures, but the tornado warning has given cause for CHS to reexamine its own plans for future events.

take cover: Students take precautions during the tornado on March 2. Williams said administration has determined the first floor as the safest floor. KATHLEEN BERTSCH / PHOTO

“Everyone did exactly what they were asked to do,” Williams said. “And that’s the most important thing. You can plan and plan and plan, but if a tornado hits this building, we don’t know where the damage is going to be. We have to do the best we can prepare, knowing that when disaster strikes, you don’t get to pick, but you hope and have a plan that protects the most people.”

Recently, however, new advancements in technology and improvements in the accuracy and speed of severe weather warnings affected administrators in their changes to safety plans and procedures, according to Williams.

“Now, in the last five to six years, the technology for monitoring weather is so advanced they can actually tell you in 13 minutes if Carmel is going to get hit,” Williams said. “We now get so much prior warning that we know (about a tornado) half an hour, 15 minutes at least, before (it arrives), so we feel confident that we can move people.”

Williams said the changes made to the safety procedures will involve moving people from the upper stories to the first floor of the building. Students and staff located in second and third floors would be instructed to evacuate to the first floor in the case of severe weather.

“We always evaluate and think: ‘Okay, this is how it worked. Is there a safer way to do it? Where’s the best place for kids and staff to be?’” Williams said. “And now we’re confident with our, or someone’s, ability to predict and inform us that we believe safety would be better served by moving kids more. So we’ll bring all our kids down the first floor.”

In accordance with the new policy, the tornado drill on March 15 required students from the second floor move down to the ground floor.

As for the safety procedure that occurred on March 2, sophomore Andrew Kluttz said via email he felt quite comfortable during the procedures.

“I felt safe and calm and everything. I thought our safety procedures were as good as they could be, given that there really isn’t a whole that you can do other than what we did with a tornado warning,” Kluttz said.

Despite the fact that the evacuation procedures on March 2 were successful and no individual at this school was hurt, Williams said the administration will continue to make adjustments and improvements to the procedures.

“We always feel that we’re doing the best we can,” Williams said. “And our main responsibility, more than anything else, is to keep students and staff safe. And so as we move forward with whatever plan we have, we feel that it is the best plan that there is. And as new information comes to us or new thoughts, we certainly make those adjustments.”

A minute to win it: Junior Noah Levitin collects money for the Miracle Minute on March 8. This event raised money for the victims of the tornado that hit Henryville, IN. OMEED MALEKMARZBAN / PHOTO