Student celebrate and participate in Greek culture at GreekFest on Sept. 7

For most students at CHS, GreekFest is an event where they can experience Greek culture by trying different foods, listening to traditional music, seeing ethnic dances or touring Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, the church that hosts GreekFest. But for students like juniors Rachel Segar and George Gemelas, dancing in GreekFest is a way to celebrate their heritage while sharing it with the community.

Segar started dancing in GreekFest when she was five. “My mom got me involved in dancing when I was little and I’ve stuck with it ever since,” she said. Gemelas started dancing when he was four. “It’s a right of passage for the majority of kids in our church, as it was for our parents growing up. It is tradition,” he said via e-mail.

(Click here for a photo gallery of GreekFest.)

During GreekFest the dancers will perform a variety of dances that originate from places all over Greece. “We also dance the popular sailor dance from the movie ‘Zorba the Greek,’” Gemelas said. “Every year we incorporate new dances with the ones past, and we also revise the choreography of the past dances.”

When Segar and Gemelas aren’t dancing, they can be found serving food and working at other booths. “It’s fun preparing the food and interacting with members of the community who have come to experience our culture,” said Segar. Greek sausage, gyros (rotisserie meat) and loukoumades (honey pastry puffs) are just a few of the foods you can try at GreekFest this year. “Everything is always served with a great heap of Greek hospitality,” Gemelas said.

After experiencing the dancing and food, visitors can tour the church. “We are proud to share our new Byzantine church and explain all the rich traditions of our church and faith that have existed for 2,000 years,” Gemelas said.

GreekFest happens on Sept. 7 from 4 to 11 p.m. and on Sept. 8 from noon to 11 p.m. “The high school group will dance once on Friday at 8:45,” said Segar. “On Saturday we will perform at 1:30, 4:30 and 9:45.” Free admission on Sept. 8 between noon to 4 p.m. will be available to those who bring three canned goods to benefit Crop Walk.  “In the end,” Gemelas said, “people need to eat with us, talk with us, and dance with us. Opa!”