Annual talent show to feature variety of acts

entertainment

Auditions for the annual Talent Show will take place on Sept. 26 and 27 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Dale E. Graham Auditorium, according to Jim Peterson, drama and film teacher.

Sophomore Kristina “Nina” Pitchkites plans to play the piano and sing a Regina Spektor song for her audition. Last year, she performed as a guitarist in a band. “There was a lot of talent in the show overall,” she said. “Not a lot of people come usually because it’s more of a middle school thing, but I really enjoyed it.” This year, she will prepare by playing through her song and trying to correct errors. Pitchkites said she is not anxious yet about the audition. “I’m trying to prepare myself and kind of clean up the song I want to do and make sure it’s perfect for when I audition.”

For the directors, the primary task is to inform people about the details of the auditions and the show, which will take place in the Dale E. Graham Auditorium on Oct. 4. “For a talent show, there’s really nothing to prepare, because we don’t know what kind of talent we’re going to see until we actually see it,” Peterson said.

Peterson also said that he expects a lot of vocal soloists, but that the show has featured all manners of acts, including those of a student who did impressions, a teacher who balanced objects on his face and a student who played “Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5” with flashlights in his nose. “We’ve seen everything from traditional Japanese instrumentalists to all kinds of bizarre things, and that’s what I think is the fun part,” he said.

Pitchkites said that the Talent Show is an important opportunity for students to showcase their abilities. “I think there’s a lot of undiscovered talent here that no one really notices, and I think that once people get on stage and start performing, they can really show off their true colors.”

0