Q&A with Assistant Principal John Newton about everything important at the start of a new school year.

How important is it to get involved in extracurricular activities?

It’s extremely important for high school students to be involved in extracurricular activities; it just gives them an outlet from their day-to-day studies to show self-expression somewhere other than the classroom.

What is the best advice you could offer to a student at CHS?

To realize how important education is to their future and that they need to try and have as many experiences as possible to learn from. Whether that be vacations or extracurricular activities, to go along with their classroom schoolwork.

If you could go back in time, what one thing would you change about your high school experience?

I’d be more serious about my schoolwork so I can understand the value, more so than I did then.

What is your view regarding relationships in high school?

When you’re in high school, as many friendships as you can develop will be helpful in the total makeup of yourself. You can see how other people live and react to various situations that may help you make wise decisions on the good things and the bad things. (It can) help you see things from a different perspective, from a variety of perspectives.

As far as girlfriends and boyfriends, of course that can be more of an intimate kind of a thing. That’s really a test of emotions, and that’s why I say you don’t want to get kids too deep into emotional relationships at a young age in high school; especially without some guidance to make sure they keep the parameters as just a friendship and not get too caught up into that. You’ve got a long way to go.