Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council to host High School Night Oct. 5

Jack Langston, vice president of the Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council (CMYC) and junior, leads the final meeting with CMYC members before High School Night. During the meeting, members worked out logistics of advertising and delegation of responsibilities.

On Oct. 5, the Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council (CMYC) will host High School Night, according to Jack Langston, vice president of CMYC and junior. During the event, CMYC will show the movie “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” on a projection screen in the grassy field adjacent to Bazbeaux and across the street from Bub’s.

High School Night will be open to the general public, and there are no costs. However, food is not provided. Instead, these downtown stores will offer a discount on food to anyone with a student ID: Mudbugs, TeaBuds, Simply Sweet Shoppe and Auntie Em’s, according to Langston. Officially, High School Night begins right after school ends, and the movie is scheduled to start at 8:00 p.m. Also, WHJE will be playing music prior to the movie, Langston said.

Although anyone may attend High School Night, the event will be advertised more heavily towards high school students at CHS, due to the fact that the CMYC is comprised mostly of CHS students, Langston said.

According to Langston, High School Night is one of the first major public events CMYC has hosted. Both he and Hyesoo Chae, treasurer of CMYC and junior, said that High School Night could play a pivotal role in getting their organization’s name out and thus allowing CMYC to continue to provide the community with activities such as this.

“I hope a lot of people will show up, and I hope (High School Night) will turn out well enough that we can have it as a yearly event,” Chae said.

“This is not a test run. We want this to be successful,” Langston said.