Transportation Department Works to Avoid Pedestrian Traffic

Cars arrive at the front circle after school, a common place for students to be picked up from school away non-bus traffic. Ron Farrand, director of Facilities and Transportation, said pedestrian cars should avoid bus areas when picking up students from school. PATEL / PHOTO

The transportation department is cooperating with school supervisors in order to keep non-bus traffic from interfering with bus traffic at the school, according to Ron Farrand, director of facilities and transportation. Farrand said that the main reason cars cannot be around the buses during drop-off and pick-up times is because it can be dangerous for students.

“Our main concern is for student safety,” Farrand said.

Cars arrive at the front circle after school, a common place for students to be picked up from school away non-bus traffic. Ron Farrand, director of facilities and transportation, said pedestrian cars should avoid bus areas when picking up students from school. PATEL / PHOTO

Alan Pomeranke, senior, said he has noticed the increase in transportation department announcements after school and said he does not understand why this issue is growing.

“The buses are always in the same parking lots every year at the same time,” Pomeranke said. “Parents should know by now where to put their cars.”

Farrand also said that due to the onset of winter weather, bus drivers are cautioned to adjust to dangerous weather. “Drivers understand the need to be extra cautious if road conditions merit it,” Farrand said.