Senate prepares for Care to Share collection dates

Morgan Montgomery, sophomore senator and Care to Share sophomore committee chair, prepares a “Secret Santa” wish list in the Senate SRT. Montgomery said she would encourage ambivalent students to think about where the money from Care to Share is going. MELINDA SONG / PHOTO

According to Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz, senators have been preparing for Care to Share collection dates on Nov. 30 and Dec. 4.

“From our end, I think things are going well,” she said. “The scary part of this program is we don’t really know how things are going on the other end; we don’t know how SRTs are doing with their selections.”

Sophomore senator Morgan Montgomery has served as a Care to Share committee chair for two consecutive years. She and other senators are responsible for the logistics of organization, which include dividing the family sets, filling out forms that go to each SRT and fielding questions from SRT teachers about the collection, according to Foutz.

“I wish that people could see who the families are and where their money and everything is actually going because when we go down to United Way to drop off the gifts to the families, they’re really appreciative,” Montgomery said.

Foutz also said senators have had issues in the past with over-commitment, especially since Senate does not have the resources to help individual SRTs to reach their goals.

“(This year) we tried to emphasize, over-emphasize maybe, don’t over-commit,” she said.

Currently, Senate is working with House to motivate even more students to participate.

Foutz said, “We’ve done all the work to organize it, so now we’ve just got to get everything prepared to receive the collection.”