Kids’ Corner prepares for second semester with new group of seniors

Charlotte Street, Kids’ Corner member and senior, fills out “Is Teaching Really for Me?”. She said this activity was planned for the first day of class as an introduction to the semester. OLIVIA WEPRICH / PHOTO

For this semester of Kids’ Corner, there are over 30 students in the class according to Kids’ Corner teacher Kimberly Lenzo. She said adjusting to the number of students will be a challenge, but there are also benefits to the larger class.

Just like last semester, the seniors will rotate cycles at Kids’ Corner at the high school, EduCare at a middle school and the Early Childhood program at an elementary school. Lenzo said this will allow the students to have a slightly different experience in the classroom.

“Last semester I could have used more seniors in each group,” she said. “They were working almost the entire class, but now there will be more time for some to sit out and observe for a different perspective.”

Charlotte Street, Kids’ Corner member and senior, said she’s excited for this semester because she loves working with little kids.

She said, “I want to be a teacher, so I thought (Kids’ Corner) would be a good way to see how to work with kids as a teacher and to see if I would be good at (teaching.)”

Lenzo said over the years there has been a large increase in the number of seniors interested in Kids’ Corner. In the first Kids’ Corner class several years ago, there were only 12 members, and Lenzo was the only one teaching child development, a prerequisite class for Kids’ Corner. Now, there are three child development teachers because of the increased interest.

Lenzo said, “I’m not sure exactly why there are so many more students involved, but I’m glad. I think maybe more people are hearing that (Kids’ Corner) is a good class and are excited about visiting EduCare and the Early Childhood program.”

According to Lenzo, the seniors will start their rotations teaching at the beginning of February.