Orchestra prepares for Camerata Chamber Concert March 28

Oliver Shou, viola player in Symphony Orchestra and sophomore, is preparing for upcoming competitions. Shou said his main focus is to play well. MATTHEW DEL BUSTO / PHOTO

According to Soo Han, performing arts co-department chairperson and director for orchestras, the Camerata Orchestra will perform on March 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the Studio Theater with free admission. He said the Camerata Orchestra is a smaller group in number compared with the other orchestras and has mostly junior and senior members.

He said that they are the leaders and top players in orchestra, and that the concert will feature several seniors.

Starting in March, Han said that orchestra moves into its competition season to prepare for the Indiana State School Music Association (ISSMA) Concert Orchestra competition.

He said, “(For the competition we) really push the envelope on the difficulty level and on what students can handle.” He said that the music is difficult but the students are excited.

Oliver Shou, viola player in Symphony Orchestra and sophomore, said he is looking forward to the ISSMA competition.

“(There’s) not really (any personal goals for the competition,) just (to) play well,” Shou said.

Han named the three pieces the orchestra will play at the competition. They are Peter Tchaikovsky’s “Symphony No. 4 Finale,” Carl Nielsen’s “African Dance” and Alexander Borodin’s “Nochturne.” By Matthew Del Busto