Media staff members to lend part of media center for portion of planetarium presentation

According to media department chairperson Bonnie Grimble, media staff members will be working with the Carmel High School Planetarium and the Astronomy Club to host a presentation event on March 23. The entire event–which will occur from 6 to 8 p.m.–will include a variety of activities such as a walk-through of the Chandra X-Ray Telescope display, a planetarium show and a discussion about women in astronomy by a guest speaker from Indiana University. The walk-through of the Chandra X-Ray Telescope display–from 6 to 7 p.m.–will occur in the media center.

“(The media staff members) are very excited for this event,” Grimble said. “We have also updated some of our

A piece of the tiles from the Space Shuttle sits in the display at the media center. This new addition to the displays in the media center is one of the ways the media staff is promoting and educating the students about the planetarium show. DAVID CHOE / PHOTO

displays with a piece of tile from the Space Shuttle.”

Junior Ryan Walstrom said he thinks that the event might be helpful in raising awareness about the school planetarium in the community after learning about the event from a flier.

“From what I know about it from the flier, the event looks like it will raise awareness about the school’s planetarium and all that it has to offer students interested in pursuing careers in that field,” Walstrom said.

Besides the educational event, however, Grimble said there were few activities, as of now, planned in the upcoming month.

“Besides the event, which is mostly managed by the planetarium and the Astronomy Club, the media center is sort of at a lull right now in terms of events,” Grimble said. “More will come later but right now we are at a lull.”