Orchestra continues to prepare for March 28 Camerata Chamber Concert

According to Soo Han, performing arts co-department chairperson and director for orchestras, the Camerata Orchestra will perform on March 28 at 7:30 p.m. with free admission in the Studio Theater. He said the Camerata Orchestra members are the leaders and top players in orchestra, and that the concert will have several seniors featured.

Kyle Mahoney, cello player and sophomore, poses with his cello during SRT. His teacher, Soo Han, said the next concert is the Camerata Chamber Concert on March 28. MATTHEW DEL BUSTO / PHOTO

Starting this month, Han said the orchestra moves into its competition season to prepare for the Indiana State School Music Association (ISSMA) Concert Orchestra competition.

He said, “(For the competition we) really push the envelope on the difficulty level and on what students can handle.” He also said that the music is difficult but the students are really excited.

Oliver Shou, viola player in the Symphony Orchestra and sophomore, said he is looking forward to the ISSMA competition.

“Hopefully we win state again,” he said. “(There’s) not really (any personal goals for the competition,) just (to) play well.”

Han named the three pieces the orchestra will play at the competition. They were Peter Tchaikovsky’s “Symphony No. 4 Finale,” Carl Nielsen’s “African Dance” and Alexander Borodin’s “Nochturne.”