Freshmen and JV women’s basketball start seasons strong

By: Stephanie Walstrom <[email protected]>

The women’s junior varsity and freshman basketball teams wrapped up tryouts the start of this month and now head into regular season play. The 11 freshman girls selected for the freshman team will play in the third game of their high school careers next Monday at home against Perry Meridian. The team will not compete again until Nov. 27 following break from practices over Thanksgiving break.

“We just want to see improvement each game and each week,” Chuck Johns, head coach of the freshman team, said. “We want to see the girls moving to the next level and working hard.”

“I think that if we do what the coach says and work hard, we’ll do really well,” Sophia Sharp, member of the freshman basketball team, said. “We have a lot of people who’ve been playing for a while so we should have a strong team.”

The JV team kicked off its season on Nov. 7 against Anderson Highland. The game went into overtime and Carmel defeated Anderson Highland 40-36.

The JV team will play their second game on Tuesday at Noblesville. JV Head Coach Kay Sharp said she is very excited about the up and coming season. “The girls work extremely hard in practice and play so well together,” Sharp said. “When a team plays together, good things always happen.”