Maintenance, custodial departments to transition school for spring during break

Custodian William Crowder prepares to take the schools trash out. Assistant Principal Doug Bird said the maintenance and custodial departments will be working on preparing the school for spring over break. CLAUDIA HUANG / PHOTO
Custodian William Crowder prepares to take the school’s trash out. Assistant Principal Doug Bird said the maintenance and custodial departments will be working on preparing the school for spring over break. CLAUDIA HUANG / PHOTO

According to Assistant Principal Doug Bird, when students and teachers go on spring break, the maintenance and custodial departments will be hard at work on adjusting the buildings and grounds for the spring season.

Custodian William Crowder prepares to take the school's trash out. Assistant Principal Doug Bird said the maintenance and custodial departments will be working on preparing the school for spring over break. CLAUDIA HUANG / PHOTO

Bird said, “(The departments) are able to do a little bit more (during spring break) than they normally can because there’s not students and staff in here making things dirty, so they can focus on some other stuff.”

Bird said the main adjustment that will occur during spring break is a temperature change in the school. The maintenance department is changing the building temperature from the winter set point of 68 degrees to the spring set point of 74 degrees.

Additionally, both departments are planning to do general clean up in classrooms that cannot be done during school hours, according to Bird.

“(The work that will be done over spring break) is not as much as what (the departments) did over winter break because they only have one week to do it,” Bird said. “They try to get in if there’s any issues that may be taking place in any of the classrooms that are hard to take care of while school is going on, just because people are in those rooms.”

Students here said they are appreciative of what the maintenance and custodial departments do for our school.

Freshman Tim Pawlovich said, “I really appreciate their work and I like how they just keep the school looking really, really nice.”

For more information about what the maintenance and custodial departments are doing to prepare the buildings and grounds, click here.