Carmel Dads Club organizes golf outing, silent auction

According to Jan Smith, Carmel Dads Club sponsorship coordinator, the Dads Club’s annual golf outing and silent auction will be held on Sept. 10 at the Woodland Country Club, located at 100 Woodland Lane. Students and parents can sign up for the golf outing on the Dads Club website and must pay $225 to participate in the tournament or $30 to watch. To participate in the silent auction, students and parents can also register and bid online. All proceeds from both the golf outing and silent auction go to Kids All Play (KAP), which gives scholarships for students to play at the Dads Club.

BeatB.Photo.Fernando.09.02
Becky Thiel, Carmel Dads Club office worker, unpacks merchandise for the silent auction. The items that will be up for bidding include Vera Bradley backpacks, NCAA passes and gift cards to the Cheesecake Factory. “We’ve got a lot of pretty awesome stuff in the auction,” Thiel said. “There’s something for everyone.” CHRISTINE FERNANDO/PHOTO

“This is our number one fundraiser,” Smith said. “It’s basically for KAP scholarships, so people should get involved to help out the kids. It’s all about the kids and youth sports. The KAP scholarships give those who may not be able to afford to play sports the opportunity to play and experience youth sports.”

Sophomore Erica Washington has played basketball at the Dads Club for two years and said she encourages people to get involved with this fundraiser.

“I think what they’re doing is great,” Washington said. “These kids deserve the chance to play and the scholarships give them just that.”

Smith said she also encourages people to get involved because the fundraiser is for a good cause and it is fun.

“The golf outing and the silent auction are both really fun,” Smith said. “The golf outing is fun to play in and watch, and the silent auction has a lot of cool stuff. We’ve got all kinds of stuff for people with all kinds of interests. We have anything from gift baskets to vacations, jewelry, gift cards and tickets for sporting events or concerts. It’s all just fun.”