Bullying Happens. Students must do their part for the new bullying policy to be effective.

w.taocolumnphotoWe’ve all seen bullying. Whether in the form of malicious rumors, exclusion from a group, or nasty texts, many of us have been subjected to it, perpetrated it or allowed it. Regardless of the role any of us have taken in bullying, we can all partake in the most important part: stopping it.

Indiana has recently instituted a new anti-bullying policy that now includes external jurisdiction—meaning you can be punished for bullying off school grounds—and a mandatory obligation to report incidents of bullying.

It is true that a stricter policy will help to deter bullying, but why did we wait until now to reinstate another bullying policy? Does it really matter? From my experience, I only wish that this policy could have come sooner, because I, and dozens of others, would have felt more secure about coming forward.

During my freshman year, there was a period of time when I dreaded coming to school because of the intense bullying.

School became so painful that I wanted to transfer schools. To be pushed to the brink of mental and emotional exhaustion by your “friends” is a harrowing experience—and I am most definitely not the only one to have felt this way.

However, whenever teachers read off the new bully policy rules, I lost track of the amount of eye rolls that circulated the room. It seemed like nobody cared about the consequences that came with this new stand against bullying, or realized the effect it could have, which makes the efficacy of a policy change questionable.

The new anti-bullying policy is completely necessary; however, will it be completely effective?

The two major changes to the policy punishes students for bullying that happens off school grounds and makes reporting bullying mandatory. The difficulty that administrators face is the secrecy involved with bullying.

While everyone acknowledges that it happens, nearly no one will report it. The new policy revolves around the concept that “You must help us to help you,” meaning that we need to do our part so administrators can, too.

We should eradicate the social taboo that comes with being bullied, because this will encourage victims to come forward, and discourage bullies from continuing their act. Turning a blind eye to the issue has solved nothing and will continue to solve nothing until we all take a stand.

I am challenging you to be “that person.” Don’t take shame in standing up with the victim: Take pride in being brave enough to do what’s right.

You could make someone’s day, change an attitude, or even save a life. It is essential for us, as members of a Greyhound nation, to acknowledge bullying’s presence and maximize our efforts to make our school a great place for everyone. And, I’m proud to say that although this is not the end to bullying in Carmel High School, it is certainly a great start.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the HiLite staff. Reach Jessica Tao at [email protected].