Keep reading. Despite recent shifts in the significance of libraries, students should enjoy more productive, deep reading.

w.sarahliucolumnphoto

In early August, according to the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, since the Internet took over as the primary way of getting information, the significance of libraries, or as Pew called it, the “building filled with books,” has declined significantly in peoples’ lives, sometimes transforming libraries into buildings filled with computers and other electronics.

A different national survey Pew conducted in January 2013 showed that 20 percent of Americans ages 16 and older said libraries should definitely move books out of public locations in order to liberate more space for spaces such as computer areas and study/meeting rooms, 39 percent said maybe to these changes, and 36 percent said absolutely not.

However, the survey also found that many library users want to see more digital services but also think print books should still be important. I, for one, agree with this statement. The survey also showed that 77 percent of Americans aged 16 and older said free access to computers and Internet was a vital service of libraries, 80 percent said borrowing books, and 80 percent said reference librarians. Also, while 66 percent of Americans aged 16 and older who used library internet in the past year used it for research or school work, a hefty 63 percent said they used it for fun or to pass the time, and another 35 percent said they used it for social media.

While these numbers may not seem very difficult to chew on, computer and Wi-Fi access services compete with book and reference availability as critical services provided by libraries. However, since many Internet users just use it to pass the time, although a lot still use it for research or work, it doesn’t seem to be as critical to a library as the books and reference do, as they can also aid research and school work just as effectively.

Besides somewhat excessive, non-productive Internet usage at libraries, I also find that we are becoming a generation of page-skimmers. It may seem hypocritical at first since many of us feel the need to read through assigned readings quickly, often due to time pressure, in order to get to the basic plot line instead of going way in depth. Yes, you may have gotten the assignment done and over with, but just knowing the bare bones will not help very much in the long run.

Not only will page-skimming make it harder to analyze content for assignments or assessments, but it can also make a book seem pointless. However, many books that people “don’t like” are usually the books that have a great point and much influence. A great example is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I read it in eighth grade, but I did not get to my freshman year since I took honors English. However, I remember how other freshmen reading it would say they absolutely hated it. I know that it may seem hard to read, but it had a huge influence on the views of treating colored people back then, and it still has the same influence now. It’s hard to get the same message when not reading or thinking beyond the plot.

Luckily, the media center here in CHS provides many potentially-influential-on-your-life books, such as the Eliot Rosewater books in addition to classics. If nothing appeals to you or if something you want happens to be unavailable there, then try the Carmel Clay Public Library (CCPL). If you’re having trouble finding a book, the Goodreads website can help you with that. Whatever you do, take advantage of what’s available. You will be surprised by how much you will enjoy reading between the lines.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the HiLite staff. Reach Sarah Liu at [email protected].