Media staff plans on hosting gallery walks, event for Teen Read Week, new display

According to media department chairperson Terri Ramos, the media staff is planning on hosting multiple gallery walks in accordance with various classes such as English on Oct. 15 and 17.

“We will be doing a gallery walk about 9/11 for students reading the book 102 Minutes,” Ramos said. “We will also be hosting a gallery walk about the Holocaust for 10th grade students.”

Students pass by the new display called "Fishing for Compliments" in the media center. According to Mooney, the display was a fun idea to start off the school year. CHOE/ PHOTO
Students pass by the new display called “Fishing for Compliments” in the media center. According to Mooney, the display was a fun idea to start off the school year.
CHOE/ PHOTO

Ramos said that in addition to the gallery walks, the media staff will be beginning a new event called “Seek the Unknown” for Teen Read Week. The event, which will occur during SRT for Oct. 13 through 19, will be open to all students. The event will be happening in conjunction with the science department and will explore the areas of science in fun ways as well as encouraging reading, according to Ramos.

Senior Kyle Weaver, who said he uses the media center for mainly accessing its resources, said that he thinks the event will be beneficial for students.

“It’ll be an interesting and unique way for students to learn yet in a setting outside of a traditional classroom,” Weaver said.

“I’m looking forward to them a great deal,” Ramos said. “I think the events are beneficial to the student body because students are able to learn about the resources that are available in the library as well as science but in a fun way.”

The media staff also introduced a new display called “Fishing for Compliments,” according to media manager Shanna Mooney. According to Mooney, the display was a fun way for the media staff to start off the year in decorations.

“The display was proposed by a student,” Mooney said. “It’s just a fun way to begin the year and introduce something new.”