‘Spring’-ing into Allergy Season

Students experiencing allergy symptoms this year, for the first time or not, must take precautions in order to tough out the potentially debilitating season

By Amanda Nguyen

Runny nose. Itchy eyes. Sneezing. These are signs of spring for junior Anna Samland ever since she developed spring allergies a couple of years ago. She said, “I noticed that I was getting stuffed up and my eyes were getting red and watery.”

As the allergy season heats up, the ones Samland experiences can be distracting to students who haven’t had allergies before. Luckily, this isn’t the case for Samland. She’s been taking medicine for her allergies for years, and, she said, it seems to help.According to medicine.net, allergic tendencies also group in families. If neither parent is allergic, the child will have a 15 percent chance of having allergies. If one parent is allergic, the chance of having allergies increases to 30 percent, and if both parents are allergic, the chance can increase to more than 60 percent.

People can also develop allergies because allergies are irregular responses of the immune system in which the body’s defenses react to certain substances. Many allergens can cause an allergic reaction, which can range from mild to fatal. Exposure to pollen from trees, grasses and weeds can prompt hay fever or seasonal allergies.

The top 10 most common triggers, according to the website, are pollen, animal dander, dust mites, insect bites, molds, food, latex, medication, fragrance and cockroaches.

School nurse Carol Gelatt said, “(With allergies) for some reason, the body’s immune system begins to reject the substance that is being inhaled or ingested as a foreign substance and therefore the body reacts to it.”

The immune system’s job, according to medicine.net, is to recognize and react to these foreign substances called antigens, which cause an allergic reaction LET IT OUT: Junior Kelly Rownd stands up to get a tissue during class. The spring season is home to frustrating allergies for many. Some allergies can develop and manifest during the teen years. SHIRLEY CHEN / PHOTOand the production of immunoglobulin E (IgE). Antibodies are created to destroy the foreign substance, but a certain antibody, IgE, is produced in large amounts by an allergic person.

The sensitization time period between first contact with the allergen and the allergic reaction can range from months to years. In order to have an allergic reaction to a certain substance, the body must have had prior contact with the allergen for the immune system to react.

The site also stated that IgE antibody usually protects the body from parasites, but not from allergens. During the sensitization period, the body overproduces IgE, which could coat “potentially explosive cells that contain chemicals.”

These cells then could cause an allergic reaction from contact to the allergen because the IgE irritates the cells, which causes the cells to release different chemicals. The chemicals then cause inflammation and common allergy symptoms.

Gelatt said, “Because there are symptoms such as sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose and sometimes asthma, allergies affect schoolwork because students don’t feel well. They need to take medication to counteract the symptoms. Medications are generally started prior to the allergy season and are controlled by the doctor.”

Samland said, “I went to the doctor to check what the symptoms meant, and they turned out to be allergies. Normally my allergies are not that bad, but sometimes they can get worse. Most of the time, my allergies aren’t severe enough to take prescription medicines so I take over-the-counter medicines.”

According to medicine.net, common spring allergy symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion and itchy, watery eyes. Treatments for allergies include over-the-counter medications, prescription drugs and allergy shots.

Gelatt said, “Students should get with their healthcare provider and talk with them about what bothers them the most. A testing such as a prick test or immunotherapy can be done to find out what you’re allergic to. Prescription or over-the-counter medications can be taken, but you need to be diagnosed first.”

Samland said she usually gets congested and red, watery eyes when the spring time rolls around. “I’ve learned how to manage (my allergies). I’ve learned to recognize when my symptoms are worse than others so I know when to take my medicine,” she said.

Junior Kelly Rownd has a similar case to that of Samland. “I’ve had allergies since sixth grade. I’m allergic to grass, trees and ragweed,” Rownd said.

Rownd said she usually gets itchy eyes but uses eye drops to help alleviate the irritation. Because Rownd has had allergies for a while, she said they don’t bother her as much. She said, “It doesn’t affect my school work much because I take medicine for it.”

Samland said, “Although (allergies) can be kind of a pain, for me, I’ve learned how to cope with them so they don’t interfere with my daily routine.”

COMMON ALLERGY SYMPTOMS

Sneezing
Itchy, Watery Eyes
Stuffed Nasal Passages
Chest Tightness (Breathing Difficulty)
Itchy, Sore Throat
Ear Pain
Runny Nose
Fatigue
Sleeplessness
Fever
Earaches
Hives / Rash

HAY-FEVER-ALLERGY.COM / SOURCE

ALLERGY TREATMENTS

First-generation antihistamines: These are available over the counter. These medications are generally effective, but have some bothersome side effects. (Benadryl and Chlortrimeton).

Second-generation antihistmines: They are all highly effective and can be taken on a regular basis with very few side effects. They also come in long-lasting versions (Allegra, Zyrtec, and Claritin).

Leukotriene modifiers: It is used for both allergies and asthma. It blocks leukotrienes, another body chemical that is involved in the allergic response. (Singulair).

HEALTHCENTRAL.COM / SOURCE