Carmel Dads Club looks to install new turf

Carmel Dads Club, according to Jack Beery, Carmel Dads Club president, is looking to install artificial turf on several practice fields using a partnership with the Carmel Clay Schools (CCS) district. Together, the Dads Club and CCS are planning to reinstall turf at the stadium and add turf at Murray stadium and two practice fields north of the stadium. The proposal to add turf to these fields will be voted on at a school board meeting on Nov. 26. Since the turf will cost approximately $600,000 per field, Beery said the Dads Club and CCS formed a partnership in order to pay for the turf more effectively.

Jack Beery, Carmel Dads Club president, and Josh Blackmore, Carmel Dads Club facilities superintendent, examine field damage caused by weather at Badger Fields. Beery said the new turf will be able to prevent this kind of damage. “(Artificial turf) allows us to play on the fields regardless of weather,” Beery said. “In the spring especially, we had a very rainy, wet spring. So, we could not get on the fields. With turf, weather like this won’t affect it like it does on regular grass turf fields.” CHRISTINE FERNANDO / PHOTO
Jack Beery, Carmel Dads Club president, and Josh Blackmore, Carmel Dads Club facilities superintendent, examine field damage caused by weather at Badger Fields. Beery said the new turf will be able to prevent this kind of damage.
“(Artificial turf) allows us to play on the fields regardless of weather,” Beery said. “In the spring especially, we had a very rainy, wet spring. So, we could not get on the fields. With turf, weather like this won’t affect it like it does on regular grass turf fields.” CHRISTINE FERNANDO / PHOTO

“What’s great about this partnership is that we can help each other out,” Beery said. “The high school and the Carmel Clay Schools district in general have the need for new turf fields. They need it for their program, and we need it for our program. If we can work together and offset some of the cost associated with the turf fields, it’ll just work about better. It’s a great partnership that’s been going for over 55 years. Both entities understand the need for youth sports experiences for students.”

Beery said the new turf allow the Dads Club to extend sports seasons and limit the cancelling of games or practices.

“Without turf fields, especially in the early spring and late fall, it’s really difficult to get on the fields without tearing them up because of the moisture and weather, so turf will really extend our sports seasons,” Beery said. “Before turf, a lot of our games and practices had to be cancelled because of field issues. By adding turf, we won’t have to worry about all that.”

Sophomore Gabby Paolucci plays soccer at the Dads Club and will be able to use the new turf after it is installed.

“I think it’s cool that the Dads Club has decided to do this,” Paolucci said. “Hopefully, it will keep kids safer.”

Beery also said the new turf will benefit students while reducing field damage and preventing injuries.

“It just lets us be able to get on the surface of the fields without tearing them up,” Beery said. “It also allows us to fix some safety issues too. The athletes won’t have to play on fields that are beat up or dangerous. They’ll be on a surface that’s consistent and that’ll let fewer injuries occur. I think it’ll benefit everyone involved.”