Meet the Candidates

Meet the Candidates

Speaker of the House Candidates:

Junior Henry Curts

How are you qualified for this position?

dai.henryI believe I’m qualified because I have been a three –year student government member and a Cabinet member for the last two years.

What/ Who inspired you to run?

I’ve been a Riley kid (a Riley Hospital patient) for 14 years and the doctors and nurses treated me so well. They inspired me to want to give back and do something to help all the other Riley kids who are less fortunate than I am.

How could you make a difference at Carmel?

I think I can make a difference by getting others involved. I believe that through the hard work of many people involved with our events we can inspire others to want to get involved and help out others.

Junior Devon Richter

How are you quw.dai.devonalified for this position?

I feel that I am qualified for this opportunity because I have had the chance to hold other leadership roles in my past. At a previous school I participated in Student Government where I worked closely with my peers to pass legislation and make differences in our school. I have also held leadership roles previously in sports including a role as Captain of my lacrosse and hockey teams. I believe that my experiences with different schools could also prove beneficial when bringing forth new ideas and opportunities for our school.

What/ Who inspired you to run?

I was inspired to run by my desire to help our school and student body initiate new programs and opportunities for the better and to lead my peers in this process.

I intend to make a difference at Carmel by bringing in my many experiences from other high schools and encouraging my peers to present their ideas on these topics. I want to help provide options for our students and bring about change in our school not only in my image but in the image of every student at Carmel High School. 

Student Body President Candidates:

Junior Ruthie Barakat

How are you qualified for this position?w.Dai.ruthie

I love working with others and collaborating on ideas. I’m involved in various activities at Carmel High School and I have had prior experience in positions of leadership and school government.

What/ Who inspired you to run?

I was inspired to run by my love for my school and by the opportunity to make Carmel High School an even better place by helping facilitate the flow and implementation of ideas. I was also inspired by Abraham Lincoln.

I’d make a difference by bringing new ideas, involving the student body more, and making further connections between our school and the community. I’d love to bring the student body together and make sure school is a groovy place to be!

Junior Bobby Greaser

Throughout my high school cdai.bobbyareer, I’ve acquired an extensive amount of leadership experience, and I know my past experiences would help me succeed as CHS student body president. I have been class president since freshman year, where I’ve had the opportunity to organize Homecoming events such as playhouse building, and currently the Junior Class officers are now in the process of working on prom. In addition, I’ve gained experience through my time on the Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council. Along with (junior) Matt Keene, I was the event director for the 3v3 basketball tournament held this March that raised nearly $700 for the Special Olympics. The amount of planning and communication required for that event to be a success really tested me, however in the end the event was a huge success. But leadership isn’t all about positions and titles. I believe I have the right personality and character for the job. I always try to be friendly and outgoing and I’m a firm believer that good leadership starts with good listening. I’m always trying to get new ideas from other people.

What/ Who inspired you to run?

Ultimately, the biggest motivation to run for this position is my love for this school. I take pride in being a Greyhound, and I can’t believe how blessed I am to be able to walk into such a great place on a daily basis. Greyhound Nation is a special group of people. As for the people, Terrance Lewis (’12), Chris Johnson (’13) and (senior) George Gemelas have all been inspirations. They’ve been our student body presidents for the past three years and seeing the impact they’ve been able to make on the school and the community has caused me to strive to accomplish some of the same things they’ve been able to accomplish. I have a lot of respect for all three of them.

I have no doubt that I could continue to build student government’s tradition of excellence by following the example set by past student leaders. In addition, even though I haven’t been a part of CHS Senate before, I feel like that will allow me to bring new ideas for events and fundraisers to the Senate that perhaps they have never thought of implementing before. CHS student government does a good job doing a lot of good for a lot of people through various events and my goal would be to only increase the size and scope of people we can serve.

Junior Anna Katsis

I have great leadership and organizational skills. I feel that these are two very important qualities that the student body president must possess. I also enjoy building relationships with people and using my creativity to come up with new ways to influence my school and community. I have been involved in student government since middle school, swim for both Carmel Swim Club and Carmel High School, participate in DECA, lead middle-school students w.dai.katsisthrough Wyldlife, mentor freshman through the GKOM program and volunteer through many organizations in Carmel and the Indianapolis area. All of these activities have helped me develop character and important skills that will help me be an effective leader for our school if I am elected as student body presidents.

What/ Who inspired you to run?

I was inspired to run because I want to leave a mark on my high school and community. I want to be a part of a group of teenagers who are impactful. I have been inspired by the opportunity to serve my peers, school and community as a whole while also creating bonds with students and people who want to make a difference just like me.

I hope to impact Carmel by not only improving the current events that Senate runs, but by introducing new events in an effort to make a difference in our community and provide fun and well-run events for the students of CHS to attend. I think that the way service leadership is represented through student government here is wonderful and I hope to maintain that legacy if I am elected.

Junior Cole Stark

How are you qualified for this position?w.dai.cole

Through the many experiences I endured as a high school student have only made me further realize the potential i can bring to this great school. Through recognizing the strengths of others around me to interviewing Indiana congressman I have never given up a chance to understand ways to better myself. I have not only had the unique privilege of being able to lead groups but to start them from the ground up. One of which that I’m particularly proud of is  an organization that started with ten students at Carmel high school, has grown to over 70, and increasing each week. Student body president has been a goal of mine for a while now and at this stage of my life I am the most qualified than I have ever been.

What/ Who inspired you to run?

The great thing about Carmel High School is that you are constantly surrounded by people who support your every move. I am so fortunate to have these people in my life because they have been there backing up all of my difficult decisions I have had to make. They are who is responsible for influencing to make even another great decision of running for student body president.

I can make a difference through action and not talk. I have seen needs in the community, and have worked to address them. I have had faith in my fellow classmates to respond to the challenges of improving the lives of others in our community. I have witnessed the great power the Carmel student community can generate if only given the chance. I have done that before and will continue to do it in the future.