Students may take for granted work staff here completes

By: Maria LaMagna <[email protected]>

She said most people don’t notice it. She said it’s easy to forget it. She said she used to overlook it herself.

But in the time junior Sarah Winters has attended this school, it has been clean. Paperwork has been organized. She has been able to buy lunch in the cafeteria. If she has needed it, medical help has been available. The school has been well-lit and fully functioning. Winters described this as “a good environment to be in for school.” And it takes well-qualified and dedicated adults to make that happen.

Assistant Principal John Abell said that the cafeteria staff, school nurses, secretaries, custodial staff and other “behind the scenes” staff members are crucial in order to run this school smoothly. “They make this school every bit what it is, just like a classroom teacher does,” Abell said. “They are as vital a part of this school as any other. They do a great job providing what our kids need.”

Abell said he does not think many people realize the amount of effort that is required to carry out a school day effectively. “Students just may not know. I think people appreciate it, but they don’t know the total workload there is.”

Winters shares Abell’s opinion. As an aid in the attendance office, she said she has gained a new appreciation for the amount of work staff members do at this school. “I don’t think students realize how much work everyone’s really putting into everything,” Winters said.

Winters has had a lot of exposure to the workload she talked about. Not only does she work as an aid, but her mother works as a secretary to the dean as well. “If (my mom) didn’t work here I don’t think I would understand what all they do. They’re always busy.”

Student body president Dan Frascella, who was also a senator for two years, said he has felt the same way about the faculty members at this school. “(The faculty members) do a lot of work and don’t get recognized for it,” Frascella said.

One of Frascella’s duties as a senator was to help organize Staff Appreciation Days throughout the year. He said in the past, the Senate has made posters and used video announcements to raise awareness for these days around the school. They have provided refreshments for the faculty on these days. They have also, with the help of House members and other students, written personalized “thank you” notes to each faculty member on his Appreciation Day.

Frascella said the Appreciation Days have been a tradition at this school for many years, and they serve a significant purpose. “(The days are) important because a lot of the major functioning of the school happens because of these people.”

Winters said from what she has seen, she thinks the Appreciation Days have been effective. “I thought they were really nice, how they brought in flowers and some people dropped by (the attendance office) to say ‘thank you.’”

The Staff Appreciation Days are spread out during the school year. They will not be the same dates this year as they were last year. Members of Senate plan to make announcements and posters as they did in the past before the Appreciation Days to let the students and faculty know when they will be. If students wish to help with the Days or writing the thank-you notes, they may contact a member of the Senate.

Abell said that in addition to the paid faculty members recognized on these days, volunteers play a vital role in making this school successful. “If they weren’t doing what they’re doing, the school wouldn’t be able to give our students what we do. Volunteers are invaluable. The staff couldn’t accomplish all we want to without them. There just aren’t enough hours in the day.”

“Our PTO provides many volunteers for us for different jobs. They’re there in a variety of ways, from working in the counseling office, to helping with Open House, to grade card mailings…there’s a myriad of things they do. And not just those provided by the PTO. It seems like every major group at the high school has support from volunteers.”

From the “behind the scenes” staff to the school’s volunteers, Abell said that a team effort is required every day. “Everybody together is what makes this school a great school. Even though it’s a big school, there’s definitely a family atmosphere. The climate we have is caring about each other, even though everybody doesn’t know everybody. That has been part of our tradition for many, many years, and that is important.”

Frascella echoed Abell’s sentiments. He said, “It’s not just about the students; it’s a team effort to make sure the school runs properly.”

Drawing from her experience, Winters said as they walk down clean hallways, sign out during SRT and order lunch, students can open their eyes to realize just what the faculty members put into every day. “Pay attention to everything they do,” she said, “the work that they do, and the patience that they have.”