New gallery to host High School Art Display for Carmel International Arts Festival

Drew Moreland, AP Studio Art student and senior poses with his artwork. He will present his artwork at the High School Art Display. RUSSELL/PHOTO

The Hoosier Salon on 22 N. Range Line Road will host the High School Art Display Sept. 27 and 28 for the Carmel International Arts Festival. Last year, The Olive Mill hosted the event.

The new gallery, previously located in Broad Ripple, works with another in New Harmony for the Hoosier Salon, a statewide nonprofit organization. Emily Winship, the Carmel Hoosier Salon manager, said she is hopeful that the new location will positively affect the display.

“I hope the students like working here. … hopefully we keep doing (the High School Art Display) annually,” Winship said.

Junior Katy Voor, an IB Visual Arts student, showed her art in the High School Art Display last year. Although the location has changed, Voor said she does not think it has a major impact on the display.

“I don’t think (the new location) will affect anything. I mean, it’s a really large exhibit and gallery. It’s a really big festival, so I don’t think the new location will change the exhibit, because people are everywhere throughout (the festival),” Voor said.

Drew Moreland, AP Studio Art student and senior poses with his artwork. He will present his artwork at the High School Art Display. ALLY RUSSELL // PHOTO

According to Jennifer Bubp, the head of the CHS art department and Art Club sponsor, the High School Art Display showcases a wide variety of student artwork from both CHS and University High School. Usually, 20 to 30 students from CHS display their work.

“We’ll be showcasing ceramic pieces, jewelry, paintings, drawings, mixed media, fiber (arts) … And, this year, we’ll also be exhibiting some work at ADVISA, a business that’s a few stories down from the (Simply) Sweet Shoppe,” Bubp said.

For Senior Drew Moreland, an AP Studio Art and Introduction to 3-D Art student, this will be his first year participating in the High School Art Display. Moreland said he is looking forward to exhibiting his artwork because he can convey messages or ideas through his art.

“I think it’s good to express as much as you can to the art community, and this will be helpful for that. I mean, there’s no point in making art if you’re not going to have anyone ever to see it,” Moreland said.

The gallery will be open for viewing 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Sept. 27 and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sept. 28. According to Winship, the gallery is expecting 400 to 500 people on Sept. 27 and 200 to 300 people on Sept. 28.

“I’m really looking forward to it, because I’m looking forward to meeting some of the high school students and seeing their work,” Winship said. “I feel like high school artwork sometimes doesn’t get as much attention as it should.”