Key Club to help with Veterans Day convocation

Sophomores Anna Colosi and Kimberly Felipe discuss what events they plan to volunteer for. Key Club members can help at the Veterans Day convocation on Nov. 10 to get volunteer hours. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO

Key Club will help with the Veterans Day convocation on Nov. 10 during SRT. CHS will also host a luncheon for the veterans who attend. Club members can bring home-baked goods and homemade side dishes to serve during the luncheon. According to sponsor Katie Kelly, bringing in food will count for volunteer hours. Students who sign up for the luncheon will help serve food and clean up after the event.

“When the veterans are finished with the convocation, they can go and have a nice lunch. I know that they’ll really appreciate the effort Key Club will put into the luncheon,” Kelly said.

Club members can also get group hours at meetings, where short projects, such as creating fleece blankets and decorating cards for military veterans, will be available. The blankets will go to local children’s hospitals or charities.

“I’m not particularly worried about how many volunteer hours I have, but I’d rather have more than necessary, so that’s why I’m helping manufacture blankets and greeting cards,” Nathan Fei, Key Club member and sophomore, said.

Key Club is still collecting shoes to send to children in Guatemala. Members who donate shoes or food must have hours forms for the sponsors to sign in order to have their donations validated. Hours forms are available outside of Room H206 and Room E232.

The next Key Club meeting will be on Nov. 13.