Teen Library Council to host Yule Ball

Jenna Fattah (shown second from the left), Teen Library Council president and senior, meets with TLC members to discuss decorations for the Yule Ball. Fattah said TLC is planning to hang floating candles inspired by those of the Great Hall in “Harry Potter.” ALEX YOM / PHOTO

On Jan. 17, Carmel Clay Public Library’s Teen Library Council will host its Yule Ball event, a formal winter ball that takes place in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire, in the library’s program room from 7 to 10 p.m. This event is free and open to students from grades sixth to twelfth, and bringing ID cards to the event is not required. According to Jenna Fattah, library council’s president and senior, students should attend the event if they consider themselves as part of the “Harry Potter” series’ fandom.

“Because the Harry Potter movies have ended, this is a good way to relive the Harry Potter experiences that we never had because we will probably never have a Yule Ball in our life,” Fattah said. “(Students) should expect “Winter Harry Potter” like they should expect a winter party like the Yule Ball, but it’s going to be not just the Yule Ball that we see in The Goblet of Fire.”

In addition to having the dance, the Teen Library Council plans on incorporating Harry-Potter-theme beverages, snacks, activities, music and a photo booth where students can photograph themselves with items found in the books and movies.

Chaise Carter, coordinator for the Yule Ball, said all students are encouraged to come because hosting the Yule Ball will allow teens to get together on a Saturday night, dress up and dance as their favorite Harry Potter character.

He said, “Besides the fact that Harry Potter is awesome, it would just be a nice easy time to get away from homework and stress of getting back into the school year, and it would just be another way for them to hang out with other teens in the area. Like who doesn’t want to dress up in your dress robes and all of that type of stuff?”

“We’re going to take some of the music from the Harry Potter soundtrack, but we will also have a subgenre music that are like Harry-Potter-theme people. Like one of (the subgenre songs) is called ‘Harry and the Potters,’ and there’s also the ‘Whomping Willow.’ So there might be some of those songs mixed in there, but everyone is encouraged to dress up for it. Like one of the things that is going to be on the sign is ‘Dress robes. No Muggle attire.’ But if you’re going to show up in your Muggle attire, you’re not going to be turned away or anything.”

According to Fattah, the Teen Library Council proposed the Yule Ball event to get more teens interested into the library, books and socializing with people in their age group. She said the members of the council are working diligently to promote and prepare for the event through publicizing the dance’s information and having council meetings.

“We all put our own heart and thought into this, so this is really going to be the first thing that we’re really excited to show to the rest of the community and the teens,” she said. “We’re going to have different committees like decoration, activities and food. We want our council members to take part in it and also have fun and be as stress-free as possible.”