Sophomore Class prepares for possible second semester events

Sophomore Class president Jordan “JD” Arland works on homework assignments in his CHTV classroom. Arland said he wants to increase student turnout and revenue for the Sophomore Class in this semester.

After hosting a successful Open Mic event at SoHo Café & Gallery, the Sophomore Class is looking for possible events in the second semester. Sophomore Class president Jordan “JD” Arland said he is looking forward to giving the sophomores a great experience this year.

Sophomore Class president Jordan "JD" Arland works on homework assignments in his CHTV classroom. Arland said he wants to increase student turnout and revenue for the Sophomore Class in this semester.
Sophomore Class president Jordan “JD” Arland works on homework assignments in his CHTV classroom. Arland said he wants to increase student turnout and revenue for the Sophomore Class in this semester. MATTHEW ZHENG / PHOTO

Arland said, “We want to increase our revenue so we want to do any event that can bring in as much (money) as we can. We got a good turnout and amount of money from SoHo but we want even more recognition for really what we deserve. That’s the key to the success of the Sophomore Class.”

Arland also said his goal for the second semester is to increase student involvement in activities.

“The goal is getting people involved in their community and in those events. The fundraisers, like the one you saw in the first semester, should increase turnout,” he said.

Allison Malloy, Sophomore Class sponsor and English teacher, said she defers event planning to the class officers, because they are only required to plan for Homecoming.

Arland said, “I try to incorporate my team as much as I can. I definitely think organizing something as a team is definitely better; putting three or four heads together opposed to one.” He also said this semester is the best time to host an event due to less scheduling conflicts.

“There’s not a lot going on. There’s not finals, any breaks, so right now, if we can work as a team we can increase revenue and turnout. Those two goals go hand in hand,” Arland said.