Key Club to help Cherry Tree Elementary School with science fair

Key Club will partner with Cherry Tree Elementary School to run Cherry Tree’s science fair.  Club members who volunteered to assist with the science fair will meet on Jan. 13, 20 and 27 from 2:45 to 4 p.m.at Cherry Tree. They will guide kindergarten through fifth grade students in brainstorming and preparing for their projects. Members will work in small groups of students, helping them do research, find project ideas and plan their research displays.

Nathan Fei, Key Club member and sophomore, signs up to volunteer for the Wishbone Race for group hours. Club members can earn volunteer hours at events such as the Cherry Tree Elementary School science fair, where they will help students to make science projects.
Nathan Fei, Key Club member and sophomore, signs up to volunteer for the Wishbone Race for group hours. Club members can earn volunteer hours at events such as the Cherry Tree Elementary School science fair, where they will help students to make science projects. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO

“I signed up for the science fair simply to go see what fascinating ideas there are,” Ben Sun, Key Club member and sophomore, said. “I think elementary kids will see that (Key Club members) are glad to help, that we are happy to take up responsibilities and give up our personal time to help them out.”

Club members can also sign up to participate in the Mohawk Trails Elementary School Beach Bash on Jan. 23 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Volunteers will set up, run and tear down booths for face painting, crafts stations and refreshments.

“I think the elementary school kids will enjoy interacting with our high school Key Club students, especially in fun mediums like these carnival-type events,” sponsor Katie Kelly said.

Students can sign up to volunteer for these events at the next Key Club meeting on Jan. 15 or through the link on the club website.