Final orchestra concert to honor senior soloists

By Beverly Jenkins

TRIPLE FEAT URE: Senior Peter Hua rehearses his violin concerto for the May 14 orchestra concert. He and two other seniors will perform it with the Symphony Orchestra. POOJA MATHUR / PHOTO
TRIPLE FEATURE: Senior Peter Hua rehearses his violin concerto for the May 14 orchestra concert. He and two other seniors will perform it with the Symphony Orchestra. POOJA MATHUR / PHOTO

On May 14, the CHS orchestra program will host its final concert for the 2008-09 year. As is custom, the final performance also will feature three outstanding seniors. Violinist and senior Yifan “Peter” Hua said he is both excited and honored to be featured in the final performance of his high school career. “It’s been a full circle of my musical education,” Hua said. “You start as a 5- or 7- or 11-year-old with a $20 violin, but over time you get better and better and more mentally prepared until you are able to treat and inspire people after putting so much work into the program.”

In addition to Hua, pianists and seniors Jane Han and Tianyi Zhang will represent the graduating seniors, each playing an individual concerto in front of a complete orchestra; but their selection wasn’t easy, according to orchestra director Soo Han.

“We are so fortunate to have so many talented seniors,” Han said. “It was extremely tough for (assistant director Rachel Tookolo and I) to pick only a few. In that vein, we decided it was better for the students to compete.”

Seniors hoping to be selected traveled to the Meridian Music recital hall where three judges with no association to CHS or its students listened to each student play a piece of his or her choice. Originally, only two soloists were supposed to be selected to perform in the concert as in the past because of time constraints, according to Han. “The talent was so outstanding that our judges had to come to a stalemate,” he said. The directors ultimately added the top three seniors to the program.

According to both Hua and Han, the final concert will consist of several performances from all four levels of orchestras. The night, according to Han, is tentatively set to conclude with each of the three featured seniors playing a large concerto.

“A concerto is a piece of music that features one or two soloists,” Hua said. “They’re usually around eight minutes long, but all of (the seniors’) are longer than that.” Due to the longer concertos and the addition of a third soloist, the show is expected to be slightly longer than originally anticipated, according to Han, who said that the entire performance should be around 90 minutes in length with an intermission and take place in the auditorium beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are $3 for all students and $5 for adults, a bargain to see one of the best orchestras in the country, according to Han. “We have some of the finest talent not only in Carmel but in the state of Indiana,” Han said. “These students have won regional, state and national competitions.” Han cited that over spring break the orchestra received the highest ranking, at a competition for the National Orchestra Cup.

“We’re all fairly capable players,” Hua said. “It’s a nice reward and a way to honor the seniors who’ve played with this orchestra for four years. It’s going to be a great concert, and I recommend any and everyone to attend.”

SENIOR SOLOISTS

• Jane Han: Grieg Concerto in A Minor for piano
  • Peter Hua: Wieniawski Concerto #2 for violin
  • Tianyi Zhang: Chopin Concerto #1 for piano

SOO HAN / SOURCE