Health center to continue regular routine in spring

Nurse coordinator Kandyce Hardie works on her computer in the health center during the school day. Hardie said, “There’s not really much in the spring for us to do besides the normal routine.”

According to nurse coordinator Kandyce Hardie, the nurses in the health center are continuing their normal procedures of attending to sick and injured students.

“There hasn’t really been a lot of change,” Hardie said. “We’re seeing students more who are having a cold that’s lasting about ten days or maybe a little longer. And we’re also seeing students who have a little bit of a stomach bug, so whether they have vomiting or diarrhea or they’re just nauseated. That’s usually pretty short-lived—like, a 24-hour bug. Other than that, it’s just the regular everyday routine.”
As the end of the school year comes around, the nurses have already begun to prepare for the next school year, according to Hardie.
Hardie said, “As the school year ends, we’re just working to get everyone’s charts and things ready for next year and their information ready for next year, but there aren’t really any new immunization requirements for students. So we’ll just check to make sure the rest of the school is compliant when next school year comes.”
As the nurses continue their normal routines, the nurses’ aides continue to help out the nurses in the health center. As one of these nurses’ aides, senior Katie Goulden said she spends the vast majority of her class period in the health center doing work for other classes.
Goulden said, “(During this period,) we’ve been delivering passes, and I’ve been drawing a lot and doing my homework. That’s pretty much it.”