Mock car crash reminds students to be safe on prom

By Kiernan McGeehan

Like most members of Carmel LifeLines, an anti drug club here, Jordan Rolsky, vice president and senior, puts a lot of effort into ensuring her peers and classmates remain drug-free.

“I just don’t get the point,” Rolsky said. “One bad move with drugs can end your life forever. Drugs can ruin your career, sports, school work or your relationships with good friends.”

Rolsky is not alone. Carmel LifeLines consists of over 135 members who feel the same way about drugs and alcohol. The club participates in many activities to promote being drug free, including its biggest event, the mock car crash before prom. Today, LifeLines hosted the mock car crash before school while students walked up the trail.

“I was a sophomore during the last mock car crash,” senior Erin Meyer said. “It was pretty intense, and I’ve been excited to see what kind of stuff they’re planning on doing this year.”

According to Rolsky, the car crash has always been planned to be along the trail in the morning so students walking up the trail can see the effects of drinking and driving. There were also actors and actresses who pretend to be severely injured and get taken away by an ambulance.

According to LifeLines sponsor Rebekah Overbey, the car crash usually has the most impact on students.

“I think what we do before prom has a huge impact on students,” Overbey said. “It will make the kids stop and think about the decisions they have made, and the decisions they will make.”

And the crash isn’t the only event LifeLines sponsors.

Stephanie Wright, vice president and senior said, “We do events like D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) with elementary school students and pre-spring break activities and events.”

The message LifeLines greatly stresses is not to drink underage. According to Alcohol Alert, in 2007, there were approximately 15,829 alcohol-related fatalities.

“The numbers are pretty shocking,” Overbey said. “But I know what we do is good because if we save one life, I know we’re doing our job.”

Activities hosted by LifeLines show and tell students that no matter what kind of peer pressure students are under, they don’t have to drink, according to Wright.

“The club helps students realize that there are many people who care about not drinking,” she said. “It especially shows the elementary kids they don’t have to fall into peer pressure.”

Overall, the club’s main focus is to ensure all students know how great of an impact drugs and alcohol can have on teenagers and adults. Also, the club tries to make sure that the message gets across to students by showing the dire consequences for the decisions that students make.

Overbey said, “Students need to know what can happen to them if they do make the wrong choice.

“Also, students need to know that they can get help with any problems they may have with drugs, alcohol or whatever, no matter what their situation may be.”