Planetarium Club prepares shows for kids

Kids watch a show put on by the Planetarium Club. According to Keith Turner, planetarium director and club sponsor, there are three different shows for the kids. ADAM GOSTOMELSKY/PHOTO

The Planetarium Club will put on shows for the next two weeks for elementary school students, preschool students and a life skills class.

Students watch a show put on by the Planetarium Club. According to Keith Turner, planetarium director and club sponsor, there are three different shows for the kids. ADAM GOSTOMELSKY/PHOTO

Over the course of the school year, classes in all 11 elementary schools in the Carmel Clay Schools system visit the planetarium in CHS. The coming two weeks will see kindergarten and preschool students, second graders, fifth graders, and a life skills class visiting.

According to Keith Turner, planetarium director and club sponsor, there are three different shows based on the class. Fifth grade classes will learn about the Sun’s daily motion and how it causes seasonal change. Second grade classes will learn about the different moon phases and the kindergarteners, preschoolers and life skills classes will learn about the causes of day and night, what they can see in the night sky and the rotation of Earth. The first kindergarten class that Turner hosted at CHS, is now the senior class at CHS, so Turner said he is aware of the impact that the field trip can have.

“If you take Astronomy in Carmel, the first thing people talk about on the first day of school is how they thought it was bigger and they definitely remember [going to the planetarium],” Turner said.

Diana Gorin, club member and senior, said she remembers going to the planetarium when she was in elementary school, and looks forward to helping put on some of the shows.

“I think it would be great to put on a show for little kids, because that’s when I became interested in the planetarium, and it would be great to give something back,” Gorin said.