Key Club to prepare for next year at last meeting

Key Club will have its last meeting of the school year on May 7. According to co-sponsor Katie Kelly, the current officers will announce next year’s class officers at the meeting. Club members will vote for freshman class officers at the beginning of next year, after the first few meetings.

“We didn’t have very many people apply to be class officers this year,” Kelly said. “But, (co-sponsor Diana Grimes) and I reviewed the applicants, and we think they’re all very capable to help us run Key Club next year.”

Secretary and sophomore Cynthia Cahya reads volunteer events available for club members to get hours. Volunteer hours are due May 15. They can be turned in outside Rooms E232 and H206. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO
Secretary and sophomore Cynthia Cahya reads volunteer events available for club members to get hours. Volunteer hours are due May 15. They can be turned in outside rooms E232 and H206. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO

Class officers will help provide opportunities for volunteer hours and organize hours when club members turn them in.

Sophomore Ben Sun said he was glad to see the applicants he voted for become class officers.

“I didn’t run for an officer position, but I voted for the people I thought could really improve Key Club. I think that because we have more class board members, we can get more ideas for (volunteer) hours, and that makes volunteering easier,” he said.

Volunteer hours are due May 15. To submit hours, club members should fill out forms detailing the types of volunteer activities they did, as well as the amount of time each activity lasted. Students can find and turn in hours forms in the folders marked “Key Club” outside rooms H206 and E232. To earn credit for Key Club, members must have done at least 20 hours of volunteer service.

Kelly said that although hours are officially due May 15, students can turn them in late. However, late forms may not be received or logged for credit.