Art department off to a productive start

Senior Sydney Peterson uses the wheel to make a pot in Ceramics 5. The students will combine thrown and hand-build techniques in their first project.​ LILLY ST. ANGELO / PHOTO

All classes in the art department are currently wrapping up their first projects and units. From drawing to photography, students are learning the basics and building their craft from the ground up.

Senior Sydney Peterson uses the wheel to make a pot in Ceramics 5. The students will combine thrown and hand-build techniques in their first project.​

According to Jen Bubp, head of the art department, drawing students are focusing on line, contour, shade, and texture. In jewelry classes, students are learning the principles of design. Coiling and building are the focuses in ceramics classes and AP art history is still on ancient times.

Photography, one of the more difficult art classes, is still learning the basics of the dark room.

“I don’t think some students realize sometimes how much you learn in photography. There’s a lot to cover,” Bubp said.

In higher level classes, students are challenged early to get back into the creative process. Junior Alex Noble is in Ceramics 5-6 this year.

“Our first project is anything you want; it could be a vase or a pot, but it has to be 40 percent hand-built or wheel-thrown and 60 percent the other. It just depends on what you’re comfortable with,” Noble said.

Although the beginning of the year has been hard for some, most students just need some time to get back into their craft.

“So far it’s challenging because I haven’t been on the wheel in several months, but once I feel comfortable throwing again, I’ll enjoy it more,” Noble said.