A.C.T. team preparing for upcoming, busy year

A.C.T. coach John Shearin sits at his desk, looking over the upcoming events for the team. He said he is ready for the year and he and the team have high expectations. ADAM STOCKHOLM / PHOTO

The Academic Competition Team (A.C.T.), formerly known as the Brain Game team, recently had their first meeting of the year, on Aug. 31, to prepare for the upcoming year.

According to A.C.T. coach John Shearin, A.C.T. is an extracurricular group where a select team of students compete against other nearby schools in academic tests and Jeopardy-like games.

Shearin said the first meeting was a success, with 18 students indicating interest in competing with the team. One of the returning students from last year is Sameer Leley, A.C.T. veteran and senior. According to him, A.C.T is a great way to meet new people and be able to compete and learn new things.
“It’s just fun getting to compete against different schools. I love the challenge of it,” he said. 
The team is extremely active throughout the year, with at least three major competitions that they take part in. According to Shearin, the members will be on TV sometime in December, participating in the elimination-style Brain Game competition. Another event for the year is the White River Academic League (WRAL). There, the CHS team plays a round-robin season leading up to a tournament featuring many schools in the central Indiana area. The schedule has not been released yet. Lastly, during the second semester, the team will be part of a Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference (MIC).
With a busy year approaching for the team, Shearin has organized the team to practice every Monday, after school in the media center. He said that even though it may not seem fun, he agrees with Leley in that participating with the team is a great time.
Shearin said, “I enjoy it. As a professional educator, I feel like it is a requirement for me to support the school community, and here, I get to do something I actually really enjoy doing.”