Gearhounds Automotive to meet January

The Gearhounds automotive club at CHS is expected to have their call out meeting in January, after Winter break. Gearhounds is a club where students can bring in their cars and work on the vehicles in the shop. The students also participate in races towards the end of the year, and get to work with equipment not provided during class.
“Gearhounds is an automotive club that provides open shop time for students to bring in their own vehicles to work on,” Zachary Jones, sponsor, stated. “We discuss the different systems on automobiles, just extra work time, essentially, for them.” Jones also said that safety is one of the biggest issues in the club, and members that did not take the class have to get trained on the safety rules. Before the club begins, members will have to learn about the safety rules. Gearhounds attends no official competitions, however there is a drag race around the end of the year for a scholarship opportunity. The drag race is hosted at Lincoln Tech high school and offers a $5000 scholarship to students. Jones is looking forward to have the club continue to grow. “I’ve had a lot of demand from students to have some sort of car club, and we seem to increase enrollment each year,” says Jones.