Students get involved for own benefit, not only for college applications

By Ellie Seta

When a typical high school student is asked why he or she participates in a certain activity most would have to admit that the main motivation for their involvement is because it ‘looks good on my college application.’ So most are committed to packing in as many activities as possible, despite their genuine lack of interest. But for junior Sunny Huang, this is not the case. She said she gets involved because she genuinely wants to. Unlike most of her peers, she plans on being just as involved in college as she is in high school. Although she no longer has anyone to impress, Huang said she feels that getting involved in school-sponsored activities while in college is important. However, Huang admits she was not always so involved.

“I know it looks good on a college application,” Huang said. “But this was not the only reason. It was more me seeing other people getting involved during my freshmen year and wanting to do the same.”

Huang said she was not very involved her freshman year and then made it her goal her sophomore year to get involved. Huang, who will be the Speaker of the House next year, said she loves all of the activities she participates in. She said she could not possibly pick her favorite activity but she enjoys performing arts and student government the most. She hopes in college she will be able to participate in numerous activities.

But according to Athletics Director Jim Inskeep, commitment to a sport or activity can sometimes come at a price. “Collegiate athletics is a full-time job in many aspects,” Inskeep said. “Students who participate in athletics at the collegiate level must be completely committed to the sport in order for it to work out well.”

But involvement in college does not just allow a student to discover their passions but also, according to the Wadsworth Learning Center, has a direct correlation to success in college. The Web site found that the eight factors for college success include responsibility, wellness, time management, competition, family involvement, competition, task precision and involvement in school-sponsored activities. Wadsworth found that students who are in school sponsored activities are happier and much more confident than students who are not. In addition, they found that they experienced more academic success. Participation in social activities also allow for a support system to be established, according to Wadsworth.

According to Inskeep, there are many benefits to participating in clubs, as well as sports during college. “Regarding activities, Carmel students are very fortunate in the aspect of participation in activities,” Inskeep said. “It makes the myriad of groups and clubs at college look very similar and also gives them confidence on whether or not to become involved based on prior experiences.”

Although Huang enjoys being involved in performing arts and student government, she said sometimes finding the balance between school and her activities can be difficult. “I wish I was better at prioritizing,” Huang said. “If I watch ‘Desperate Housewives’ instead of studying, my test scores suffer. But usually things will fall into place.” But according to CollegeBoard.com, learning time management skills in high school benefits a student later on in college.

Overall, Huang said she loves being involved in high school and has not regretted her involvement. Huang said, “By not getting involved you do not have the right to complain if you are not doing anything to change it.”