Kids’ Corner members plan activities for preschoolers

Haley Cook, student teacher for Kids’ Corner and senior, measures the width of her Kids’ Corner locker sign. Cook said the student teachers of Kids’ Corner will make lesson plans and bulletin boards during the coming weeks in preparation for the preschoolers’ arrival. CYNTHIA YUE / PHOTO

Members of Kids’ Corner are currently planning activities for the start of the preschool. According to Kim Lenzo, director of Kids’ Corner, the meeting for the preschoolers’ parents will occur on Sept. 29; the preschoolers will come during the parent meeting in order to get familiar with the preschool. Lenzo said the first day of the preschool will be Oct. 1.

To prepare for the start of the preschool, the student teachers of Kids’ Corner have picked out themes for each week of the preschool. The themes for the first six weeks of the preschool are All About Me, Colors, Numbers & Shapes, Transportation, Farm, Fall & Halloween and Camping.

According to Haley Cook, student teacher for Kids’ Corner and senior, student teachers will work on making lesson plans for each of the themes during the coming weeks. Cook also said they will make bulletin boards associated with the themes.

“We’re looking at books right now (to plan lessons),” Cook said. “The only thing we’re really looking at is books, and then, we also are getting ideas online.”

Kids’ Corner members have also planned several activities for the preschoolers.

Lenzo said the preschoolers will each make a book throughout the semester from plain white, blank books. On the first day of the preschool, the preschoolers will draw a picture of themselves and their families for the All About Me theme. According to Lenzo, the student teachers are still working out the details for the book, but they are currently considering having the preschoolers put either their drawings or photographs of the preschoolers on the cover of the books. Lenzo said, each week, the preschoolers will participate in activities related to the themes and add what they did for the activities to the books.

In addition to the books, Kids’ Corner has also planned some trips for the preschoolers. Cook said the student teachers will go trick-or-treating with the preschoolers on Oct. 30.

“(The preschoolers’) costumes are so cute. Personally, I don’t know them yet, but the years I’ve seen them, they’re just so adorable,” Cook said. “I’m so excited for it.”

Cook also said the preschoolers will visit the planetarium on Nov. 11.

Cook said she is excited for the preschoolers’ arrival. Cook said, “I love little kids, so it’s going to be really fun.”