A.C.T. to have next match on Oct. 22

A.C.T. coach John Shearin looks over the upcoming schedule for the team. He said that the team is open to join for people who express interest and hopes that more CHS students will give the activity a chance. ADAM STOCKHOLM / PHOTO

The Academic Competition Team (A.C.T.), formerly known as the Brain Game team, will have their next match on Oct. 22. The team will face North Central at CHS.

Sameer Leley, A.C.T. member and senior, said that he and the team are looking forward to the next match and believe they have a good shot at winning.
“You always have to be confident and always have to think you have a chance to win when you go out there, and I think we are pretty confident,” Leley said. He said that the team does have some weaknesses right now, but the members are definitely improving. Head coach John Shearin agreed, saying that the team could benefit from more constant participation from the players. Last match,  only four players showing up in the varsity match, as opposed to the usual five.
The last match the team participated in was against Fishers High School. The varsity team lost 62-52. The junior varsity team won, in a score of 63-28. Last year, in this league, the CHS team won eight matches in the season and only lost one. 
 Shearin said the team is in need of more players who can consistently show up for matches and practices. He advises many CHS students to give the team a chance because he said it is much more fun than it seems.
 Shearin said, “Given the size of our student body and the quality of our student body, I think there are a lot of kids who would do very well with this sort of academic challenge. I think they would enjoy it. I think they would get a sense of satisfaction, and, well, it looks good on a college application.”