Congressman Andre Carson, Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz speak to CHS students

Andre Carson, Glenda Ritz: Student Political Participation
SARA YUNG // PHOTOS

On March 8, Andre Carson, U.S. Congressman for Indiana’s 7th district, and Glenda Ritz, Superintendent of Public Instruction in Indiana, spoke to students at CHS. The event, organized by the CHS Democrats Club, took place in the Freshman Center cafeteria during SRT. Carson and Ritz spoke about their experiences in public office and explained the importance of political participation for young citizens.

Junior Brian Hancock, founder and chair of the CHS Democrats Club said he hoped this event would allow CHS students to become more involved.

“We think it’s really important for students to have some sort of contact with the people that represent them and other people from Indiana, so especially with Superintendent Ritz, a lot of her legislation, a lot things she does has a big impact on what happens in our school,” Hancock said. “With Mr. Carson, he is the representative of Indianapolis, who is very close to Carmel, so we thought it would be important for that reason.”