Ready for a Repeat: Men’s tennis team hopes to continue success from last year

By David Zheng
<[email protected]>

KILLER FOREHAND: Sophomore Elliott Yee played in a tournament in Texas in early May. He plays many local and nationwide tournaments to keep up his game. KING YEE / SUBMITTED PHOTO     KILLER FOREHAND: Sophomore Elliott Yee played in a tournament in Texas in early May. He plays many local and nationwide tournaments to keep up his game. KING YEE / SUBMITTED PHOTO
KILLER FOREHAND: Sophomore Elliott Yee played in a tournament in Texas in early May. He plays many local and nationwide tournaments to keep up his game. KING YEE / SUBMITTED PHOTO

Last season, the men’s tennis team achieved great success, as it won the Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference (MIC) for the third time in this school’s history. The two previous years in which it was won were 2003 and 2004. The team also compiled a solid record and made a run for the State title, but ultimately came up short.

“I thought last season was memorable for many reasons,” Head Coach Mike Bostic said. “For one, we went 18-1 on the season, which is amazing considering the difficulty of our schedule and (the fact) we only started two seniors. I look for the team to be very hungry this year and well prepared to get to the next step.”

Elliott Yee, varsity tennis player and sophomore, was one of those non-senior starters. As a freshman last season, Yee played number two singles for the team, and he said he thinks that the team will be even better this season than last. Returning letter-winners along with Yee include sophomore Mihir Kumar; juniors Christopher “Chris” Bertolini, Patrick O’Neill and Michael Moe; and seniors Thomas “Tom Miller,” Victor Obasaju and Tyler Witsken.

“(As a team) we just try not think about what we did last year, but think about this year and just doing the best we can,” Yee said. “We’re going to try to do the same things but we’re going to have to keep our focus and not let last year’s success get us too overconfident.”

Conor Cunningham, member of the junior varsity team last season and junior, also said he thinks Carmel will have a better team this season. “Considering we have one of the best teams in the state, I think we should just practice hard every day play our game,” Cunningham said. “If we want to do well, we just need to seize the opportunity when it arises.”

Carmel lost a hard-fought match against North Central in the Regional finals last fall, which ended its season. “It was obvious how badly everyone on the team wanted it and how much everyone else wanted varsity to win,” Cunningham said. “It was hard because that’s when the season ended for us as well.”

North Central, however, is just one of the many teams that will provide a difficult challenge for Carmel this season. According to Bostic, some of these other teams that will be a challenge for Carmel include defending State champion Center Grove, Park Tudor, Cathedral and Brebeuf.

Yee said he thought these teams were talented overall, but their lack of depth is one thing that separated them from Carmel. “They’re good teams because they have good players, but they don’t have Carmel heart. That’s what makes them different from us,” Yee said.

“I think (these teams) will be competitive because they have the majority of the better players from around the area,” Cunningham said. “These teams have been able to beat us in the past, so it always makes for a good match because there are talented players all around. Plus everyone wants to beat Carmel.”

“I think we did well last season, but not well enough,” Yee said. “We were a little short, but we still worked extremely hard. I guess you win some and you lose some. We got to the Regional finals, but came up short against North Central.”

In order to prepare for this season, Bostic said the team hosted an open facility season program for all students wanting to try out for the team. This program took place every Thursday evening from 6 to 8 p.m. “We usually played doubles and singles, and would do a little bit of ball drilling and conditioning,” Yee said. “You (could) meet the coaches, and some of the former Carmel players (were) there.”

Cunningham said he thought the open gym sessions were just a good way for the team to bond. “It’s just a friendly competitive atmosphere that allows the team to see each other, because we all play at diff erent clubs and tournaments throughout the summer,” Cunningham said.

However, Bostic said that he does not plan to change much in preparation for this season. “We will continue to emphasize coming together as a team and sacrificing our own desires for the good of the group,” Bostic said. “If we are all on board, I don’t think there will be a stronger team.”